Monday, October 10, 2016

Electrical

OK so now that the solar panels and charge controller are up and running, that the sine wave inverter has been installed and tied into the battery bank, it is time to tie all this into the 5er's electrical system. I have accessed a lot of information on this as there are multiple ways to do this depending what outcome you're looking to archive. As I have some time before we embark on our travels and plan on doing as much boondocking as possible I have opted to go for complete incorporation of the solar into the 5er's electrical system.
After an extensive review of the 5er's electrical layout and following the recommendation to keep the Transfer Switch as close to the Converter's location as possible I chose to mount the switch on the basement wall on the opposite side of the Main circut breaker and Converter. And as the transfer switch is to large to fit behind the Converter this seems like an ideal spot to have mounted it. I also started a run of two 10 gauge lines coming from the inverter in the Utility Room across the Basement ceiling to the Transfer Switch mounted on the opposite side wall. And I lucked out and as the 5er's main 50 amp shore line had just enough slack that once I drilled and access hole thru the wall (nice I borrow a hole saw and forgot my drill) by hand I could tie that line into the Transfer Switch as well. And then run the other set of hot lines (L1, L2) and Neutral back to the Main circuit breaker panel.
The advantage of this all tied in this way is that I have two separate power systems at my disposal to power the 5er with. With both supplying 120 volt as well as 12 volt power distribution throughout the 5er rather than just one or two outlets.

No comments:

Post a Comment